J.J. Jones seems headed for a bright future.
But when or where he’ll be eligible to return to the football field is in question.
On Wednesday, two days before Myrtle Beach High's season opener, the Seahawk junior wide receiver, his family and his new school were informed by Horry County Schools that his previously approved transfer from Socastee has been blocked, at least for now.
“His eligibility status is in question, and the administration is working to have it resolved,” Myrtle Beach coach Mickey Wilson said.
It is not immediately clear which grounds were cited to bring about this week’s action. District Chief Officer for Student Services Velna Allen did not return a voice message left by MyHorryNews.com.
In similar situations in the past, a student-athlete’s former school had the right to request that a transfer be blocked. It is not known if that was the case with Jones.
Socastee Principal Jeremy Rich also did not return a voicemail.
Jones, who has practiced with the Seahawks throughout the summer and this preseason, already has an NCAA Division-I scholarship offer from West Virginia, the same school where his father, Jon, played in the early 1990s. J.J. Jones is also a standout on the basketball court and has been named one of the top players in the state for the Class of 2021.
The elder Jones could not be reached for comment, and attorney Natasha Hanna, who has been retained to represent the family, said she could could not comment at this time.
Updates to this story will be added as they become available.