A 22-year-old Conway man Tuesday pleaded guilty in the death of his infant son last year, according to a news release from the 15th Circuit Solicitor’s Office.
Demond Marquise Hannah pleaded guilty to homicide by child abuse, said Mary-Ellen Walter, a senior assistant solicitor who prosecuted the case.
Circuit Court Judge William Seals sentenced Hannah to 20 years in prison.
In October 2018, Hannah was watching the child while the child’s mother was gone from the home, the release said. The child became unresponsive within 15 to 20 minutes and was taken by ambulance to Conway Medical Center before being airlifted to the Medical University of South Carolina, where he was later removed from life support.
“The child had injuries consistent with having been violently shaken,” according to the release.
Arrest warrants state that on Oct. 8 in an apartment on the 1200 block of 12th Avenue in Conway, Hannah intentionally caused his 2-month-old baby to suffer multiple life-threatening injuries, which resulted in the baby's death. Authorities responded to Conway Medical Center in reference to an unresponsive child, a police report said. Police spoke with medical staff and the child was placed into emergency protective custody.
“Any murder is horrific, but the murder of a child is especially tragic,” Walter said in the release. “I am grateful that we were able to achieve some measure of justice for this young victim. Thank you to Conway Police Department, South Carolina, the State Law Enforcement Division and MUSC for their assistance in this case.”