A contractor working on a home under construction in North Myrtle Beach died Tuesday morning after being electrocuted, authorities said.
The incident happened in the 800 block of North Hillside Drive around 8 a.m., said North Myrtle Beach spokesman Pat Dowling.
Horry County Coroner Robert Edge identified the worker as Antunes Dos Santo, 47. Dos Santo lived in the Socastee area near Myrtle Beach but was originally from Brazil, Edge added.
A home that had been burned a year or two ago was being renovated and workers were reconnecting the major electrical supply to it, Dowling said, adding that Dos Santo was holding on to a guy-wire and the wire touched a major electrical source.
Electricity traveled through the guy-wire and killed him.
"They were using this crane to set truss up on the second, third floor of that building," said Edge. "Unfortunately, he apparently raised that crane back and hit a high-voltage wire and when he did, the electricity came down it and electrocuted the guy holding the wire on the ground."
Dowling said Dos Santo was a private contractor who was working for a crane company.
Police and fire rescue personnel responded to the call, as did the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Edge said it's been a long time since someone was electrocuted at a construction site.
"We've had some electrocutions, but not on the construction site like this," Edge said.